Get Everything You Want From Your Salary Negotiation
You have successfully aced your interviews, and now is the time for the dreaded, stressful and intimidating salary negotiation, your final obstacle to overcome. It is important not to negotiate against yourself. To avoid this, you must do your salary research based on your market, and most importantly, you must know your worth. The base salary is not the only factor to consider. You should make a list of all the things that are important to you in addition to a base salary. Benefits, bonus, and perks such as telecommuting can be a nice sweeteners to an already sweet salary. Before negotiating your salary with a prospective employer, you must learn the details of their salary range and benefits package so you can appropriately advocate for yourself and get exactly what you want. Here are some tips to help you negotiate an amazing salary and benefits package.
- Do your research. Use sites like salary.com to research the going salary in your local market.
- Make a list of your desired salary range, making sure not to price yourself out of the competition.
- Allow room in your salary range for negotiation, and make sure the lowest number in your salary range is a salary you will be happy with if that is the final offer made to you.
- Never make the first move. Let the employer tell you their range and benefits package before you state your desires.
- Never accept the first offer, and never make a hasty decision. Ask the prospective employer for a day or two to consider the offer.
- Be very wise and strategic about all counters you make to offers. Be careful not to seem greedy and combative.
- Show enthusiasm and gratitude throughout the process. Remember, they have selected you over many candidates to get to this point.
- Never walk away from a negotiation on bad terms. It may not work out in your favor this time, but the employer may have something better in store for you in the future.
Need help with improving your salary negotiation skills? Let us help you! A Certified Professional Career Coach (CPCC) at APEX Career Services will help you avoid the pitfalls of not having a strong salary negotiation strategy. We tailor our salary negotiation coaching sessions to the unique needs and style of each job seeker. You owe it to yourself to invest in hiring a salary negotiation coach to guide you every step pf the way. With a strong background in corporate recruiting, APEX Career Services know the inner workings of how companies handle the salary negotiation process with job seekers. Change your life today! Contact APEX Career Services to get started today at info@ApexCareerServices.com. Learn more about our services and how we can help you at www.APEXCareerServices.com.